[Samba] name resolves to public address - should resolve to private...

Joe Demeny jd1987 at borozo.com
Fri May 9 17:34:44 GMT 2008

On Thursday 08 May 2008 12:00:56 pm Chris Smith wrote:
> [...]
>
> > [...]
>
> > What I want is that the Windows machines resolve both mail and
> > mail.mycustomer.com to 10.10.10.253.
> >
> > On the Samba PDC machine in /etc/hosts I have:
> >
> > 10.10.10.253    mail.mycustomer.com  mail
>
> As Dennis mentioned you can use the "hosts" file in Windows as well - it
> will, in most cases be searched first for such name resolution (as it
> is in 'nix).

Thank you both...

> > In smb.conf I have:
> >
> >     wins support = Yes
> >     dns proxy = No
> >     name resolve order = wins host lmhosts broadcast
>
> That's only a directive for the running Samba's own lookups - it doesn't
> propagate to to clients.

I guess this is they key piece I missed; I was under the impression that "name
resolve order" applies to workstations...

> Best solution, if your DNS handles outside requests as well, is to use
> split horizon DNS (BIND views, as Dennis mentioned, if using that
> product).

I see... let me ask, just to make it clear for myself: Is there any knob in
Samba which could tell the Windows workstations "look at WINS first, look at
my /etc/hosts second, then ask the DNS resolver"?

--
Joe Demeny