[Samba] Fwd: Add permission? (was How to create awrite-onlyshare?)

Alex Harrington alex at longhill.org.uk
Thu May 8 09:16:07 GMT 2008

> In this case I still can't add a file from Windows machine into the
share append...
> Seems it can't be done with Samba and posix permissions?

Try this:

[root at fs home]# chown -R michael.office append
[root at fs home]# chmod -R 770 append

smb.conf:
[append]
  path = /home/append
  valid users = +office
  writeable = yes
  write list = +office
  admin users = michael
  hide unreadable = yes
  create mode = 200
  directory mode = 770
  force group = office

I can't see any reason why that config won't do exactly what you want it
to.

If it still doesn't work, you need to start narrowing the problem down -
so logon to the console of the server first as michael. Can you cd in to
/home/append? If so, can you touch a new file? Repeat the process for a
different user in the office group. What is the result? As root, what is
the contents of that folder now? If that all works, the POSIX
permissions are working fine so it makes it a Samba problem. Visa versa
then the POSIX permissions are the ones to look at.

Alex

--
Alex Harrington - Network Manager, Longhill High School

t: 01273 304086 | e: alex at longhill.org.uk