[Samba] Problems with simple samba setup

Tom Byrne tombyrne223 at googlemail.com
Wed May 7 12:51:38 GMT 2008

Hi All

I'm trying to set up a machine with a simple samba configuration. I've
written the config file with no problems, however any time I attempt to
connect to the shares it doesn't work. Firstly, the smb.conf:

[global]
netbios name = TEMPSRV
workgroup = LIPSON
map to guest = Bad User

[ittechs]
comment = Should not see me...
path = /var/smb/ittechs
read only = no
force user = ittechs
force group = ittechs
guest ok = no
nt acl support = no
browseable = no

[msoffice]
comment = Microsoft Office test admin share
path = /var/smb/msoffice
read only = no
force user = msoffice
force group = msoffice
guest ok = yes
nt acl support = no
browseable = no

When connecting to the ittechs share I get asked for a username/password as
expected. When entering a valid one it throws a generic error... the usual
"\\tempsrv\ittechs is not accessible, you might not have permission to use
the network resource" blah blah.

When trying the msoffice share (which is guest ok), no prompt for a
username/password appears (it shouldn't anyway), but instead of connecting
to the share it displays the same generic error again, however this time
with "The user name could not be found" on the end.

Firstly, permissions are correctly set on the path of the shares. I've
tripple cheked this then tripple checked again.

$ ls -l /var/smb
drwsrwsr-x 2 ittechs ittechs 4096 2008-04-30 09:28 ittechs
drwsrwsr-x 2 msoffice msoffice 4096 2008-04-30 09:28 msoffice

Both the ittechs and msoffice users have an smb password set, again I've
checked and re-checked.
$ cat /etc/samba/smbpasswd
sysadmin:1000:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:B05CCCD45E8C2F5CD6F24A5559634A97:[U
]:LCT-481B292E:
ittechs:1102:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:647DA7AB3D9D46FF7163D94D628F5F75:[U
]:LCT-4819D3A9:
msoffice:1103:XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:FA5BBDDD74D108E0E7398A06F1083DA1:[U
]:LCT-481883E1:

Next, I've examined /var/log/samba/log.smbd when attempting to connect to
the shares. No joy apart from this:
[2008/05/02 15:40:41, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_administrators(792)
create_builtin_administrators: Failed to create Administrators
[2008/05/02 15:40:41, 0] auth/auth_util.c:create_builtin_users(758)
create_builtin_users: Failed to create Users
I've looked this up and apparantly this is a known problem which shouldn't
affect normal operation so has no relivence to my problem.

Testparm also doesn't seem to see any problems with my config:

$ testparm
Processing section "[ittechs]"
Processing section "[msoffice]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

[global]
workgroup = LIPSON
netbios name = TEMPSRV
map to guest = Bad User

[ittechs]
comment = Should not see me...
path = /var/smb/ittechs
force user = ittechs
force group = ittechs
read only = No
nt acl support = No
browseable = No

[msoffice]
comment = Microsoft Office test admin share
path = /var/smb/msoffice
force user = msoffice
force group = msoffice
read only = No
guest ok = Yes
nt acl support = No
browseable = No
The only odd thing which I have been able to discover is that winbindd *is*
running. Now I read somewhere that it shouldn't be unless you're doing NT
domain integration, which I'm not. This should just be a standalone server.

Any hints, suggesions or help most gratefully received...