[Samba] Can't get 3.0.23d from SuSE RPM to be a member in an NT4 domain

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue May 6 15:22:24 GMT 2008

Been working with Samba back to 1.9 or so, but this is the first time
I've tried to set it up as a domain member server.

I followed (I think) the instructions on how to do this in TOSHARG
(which are about as disjointed as the book, which I took back), but I
continue to be unable to get the box, running winbind, to reliably
authenticate users off the PDC, which is running NT4 (and I'm not sure
which SP, if it matters) and Exchange 5.5, which precludes me from
simply vampiring it and decommissioning it... unless there's no
solution on the Samba front.

The errors I get are the (I gather, ever-popular):

[2008/05/06 11:15:01, 0]
rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:cli_rpc_pipe_open_noauth(2265)
  cli_rpc_pipe_open_noauth: rpc_pipe_bind for pipe \lsarpc failed with
  error NT_STATUS_BUFFER_TOO_SMALL

in /var/log/samba/log.wb-CORP (CORP being the name of my domain), and
also in log.winbindd; in my log.winbindd-dc-connect, I get those,
interspersed with:

[2008/05/06 11:15:01, 1] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_rpc_pipe_close(376)
  cli_rpc_pipe_close: cli_close failed on pipe \samr, fnum 0x4009 to
  machine VICIEXCHANGE.  Error was SUCCESS - 0
[2008/05/06 11:15:01, 1] libsmb/clientgen.c:cli_rpc_pipe_close(376)
  cli_rpc_pipe_close: cli_close failed on pipe \NETLOGON, fnum 0x4007
  to machine VICIEXCHANGE.  Error was SUCCESS - 0

net rpc testjoin says: Join to 'CORP' is OK

and wbinfo -u and -g give reasonable answers, based on the user list on
my PDC.

I'll be happy to supply smb.conf and any other information that seems
warranted, but hopefully this is enough to provide a start to some
helpful person... :-)  This seems to be a question that is much-asked
and little-answered, based on all my googling...

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
	       -- (Joseph Stalin)