[Samba] Samba on Virtual Machines

Mervini, Joseph A jamervi at sandia.gov
Mon May 5 13:57:52 GMT 2008

Hi,
We have deployed Samba on VMware (ESX) on IBM Bladecenter H. I am having a serious problem with Samba related to Window client access. I can mount the samba share with no problem whatsoever and see all the files that exist within that share. However, when I try to open/write/copy/get properties on any file in either direction the operation stalls and eventually I will get a message similar to "Cannot copy <file>: The specified network name is no longer available." on the Windows client. We are running stock RHEL5 workstatiom with most packages installed (sound/telephony excluded). Our samba security is set to domain but this has also been tested with security set to user.
I have an identical samba server (except IP/hostname, etc.) on a standalone blade that works flawlessly. I have scoured the web looking for answers but have come up empty.
Has anyone on this list ever had a similar problem that might be able to share some insight?
Thanks in advance.

--
Joe Mervini
Scientific Applications and User Support