[Samba] Re: Unable to change Windows password on Samba BDC

Matt Anderson sokkerstud_11 at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 21:49:09 GMT 2008

Chris Smith <smb23 <at> realcomputerguy.com> writes:
> I use a rule of thumb that with >=5 computers it saves much time and
> trouble to use services such as dhcp, dns, wins, etc. Set up dhcp (and
> dns is you don't have it), you will be glad you did.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback -- I totally agree.  Unfortunately, our network
administrator doesn't feel the same way (that it's not too much trouble).  He
has set up everything with static IP addresses for "security reasons" so we
don't have a DHCP server... and with that no DNS server, since Dynamic DNS would
require maintaining both the files for forward and reverse lookup...

However, I have at least set up WINS on my Samba PDC :)

Thanks again,
Matt