[Samba] Re: Unable to change Windows password on Samba BDC

Matt Anderson sokkerstud_11 at hotmail.com
Thu May 1 21:22:39 GMT 2008

Adam Williams <awilliam <at> mdah.state.ms.us> writes:

> in the BDC, take out:
>
> 	passwd program = /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd -u %u
> 	passwd chat = *New*password* %n\n *Retype*new*password* %n\n
> 	unix password sync = yes
>
> add:
>
> ldap passwd sync = yes
> encrypt passwords = yes
> update encrypted = Yes
> unix password sync = no

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the quick response -- I'm not sure if you saw my follow up:

"Okay, so I figured out why it wasn't working.  I needed to add the IP address of
the PDC to the WINS tab in the user's TCP/IP connection settings for it to be
able to resolve the Primary domain controller to change the password (at least,
that's what I'm assuming the problem was).  Once I added the PDC's IP address to
the WINS tab I could change passwords no problem.

However, we currently assign all IP addresses manually (no DHCP server).  Is
there any way (I'm guessing not) I can accomplish this without having to
physically change the network connection settings on hundreds of client PCs
manually?  On a side note, I tried adding the BDC's IP address to the WINS tab
first and was unsuccessful... which I think is expected.

Again, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!"

Would your suggestion address this?  I know that I initially had it set up that
way since I was using the idealx scripts...

Thanks!

-Matt