[Samba] WinXP x64 + Centos 5.1 + Samba

Hai Nguyen hai.scrub at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 07:46:09 GMT 2008

Hi,

I have a couple workstations running WinXP x64 that connect to a few servers
running Centos 5.1 with Samba version 3.0.25b. I'm experiencing this really
strange problem with two of the boxes. Two of them have 3ware RAID cards
with XFS partitions. I export the partion across both NFS and SMB. These are
the two that I'm having problems.with. When I save a large file through an
application or if I copy a large group of files - WinXP crashes - either by
freezing or BSOD. However the odd thing is that I can copy a folder just
fine. It only happens when I save a large file or copy a bunch of files.

I've checked my network setup. There's either no or a very small amount of
collision on the network. I've removed the VLAN and put it on a flat
network. I've unbonded the bonded interface. I've tried it with oplocks on
and off - it almost makes no difference.

Copying via SMB on a mac works just fine. I can also copy from my laptop
running regular WinXP just fine.

It seems like something specific to WinXP x64 - but I can't track down what
it is. At this point, I've pretty much exhausted every option that I can
think of.

Has anyone ran into a similar issue? Or does anyone have any suggestions as
to how to track down the issue?

Thanks,
Hai