[Samba] Vista Read/Write performance

Matt Harris raven at uberduck.net
Tue Mar 18 23:48:14 GMT 2008

Hello.

I am setting up a smb server running debian etch for a small office.
Due to circumstances outside my control, most of the client machines are
running Windows Vista Ultimate.  The shares are all set up properly,
security is set, and we're good to go.

Except that the throughput from any of the Vista machines to the server
is at best slow and at worst abysmal.  After tweaking the socket
options, turning off various services in windows (Remote Differential
Compression), and even installing the freshly-released SP1, the best
I've been able to get is 12.5 MB/s reading from the samba server.  SCP
gets 35-40 MB/s, and Vista to Vista transfers using SMB get 35-40 MB/s.

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to recommend to my boss that
we put the data on another Vista machine and use that as a makeshift
file server until this problem can be ironed out.  I very much do not
want to tell him that.  Any help anyone can offer would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt Harris

smb.conf excerpt below.

[global]
        workgroup = UTOPIA
        server string = %h (file server)
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        client NTLMv2 auth = Yes
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        smb ports = 445