[Samba] Samba Administration Tool recommendations

Marcio Merlone marcio.merlone at a1.ind.br
Fri Mar 28 11:45:12 GMT 2008

Matt Arnilo S. Baluyos (Mailing Lists) escreveu:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a project which is to build a customized Linux distribution
> with a focus on deploying a Samba as Primary Domain Controller. It's
> pretty much like Trixbox but instead of Asterisk and VOIP, will be
> focused on Samba.
>
> Right now, I am looking for a solution for an administrator to easily
> manage the service. Of particular importance would be to easily add
> workstations and set up users for Roaming Profiles.
>
> Any recommendations on this?
>
> I have already looked at SWAT and Webmin (and I will be including them
> on the package list). However, I would like a tool that is focused on
> just Samba as a PDC.
>
> The base system I have is Ubuntu Server so it would be great if such a
> recommendation would be web-based although if a desktop application is
> what I need, then changing the base system is an option.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Matt

Great idea! As a user, I'd like to suggest you the following features/tools:

- Ease to add/manage users and machines;
- Ease to manage network workstations (software and hardware
inventory/deployment, group policies, etc);
- Ease to manage workstations configs (proxy config on browsers, mail
settings, logon scripts, enable/disable/manage windows firewall, vnc
service and passwords, etc);

Regarding machine inventory, have you seen SpiceWorks? I ask because you
may have two approaches:

1: a samba focused distro.
2: a network management focused distro. Using samba.

The main difficulty on maintaining a samba server is the
network/workstations management , which you have to handle with 3rd
party tools and scripts (like wpkg), which are not well integrated
(because you had to integrate/tweak it yourself). A distro made to
address all those issues will be a killer product on the market. Better
yet if built on top of Ubuntu server.

Sorry if this is not the right place to this. :) Please provide some
site or mail list to keep an eye on your progress.

Best regards,

--
Marcio Merlone