[Samba] Samba Share Mounts with Java

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Thu Mar 27 14:37:47 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 08:05 -0600, josgreen at idoc.idaho.gov wrote:
> Hello,
>
>       I am developing a Java application that requires me to read from
>  and write to a samba share. When developing in a windows environment
>  this was not a problem. I mounted the share as "M:/", built a path to
>  a file, checked if the file exists using the Java function
>  file.exists(), and went on my merry way. Now I am developing in a
>  Linux environment(SuSE 10). I mount the samba share to a folder and
>  when I build the path it will find and display the image, however the
>  check in Java(file.exists()) does not function properly. I ALWAYS get
>  a return value of false. Any help with this issue would be
>  appreciated. Thanks!!!

please show the contents of file.getAbsolutePath() resp.
file.getRelativePath() and how you mounted the share (mount options).

What I could think of are two things:

1. upper/lowercasing problem
-------
eg. when you told samba to ignore the case, but (maybe) Java doesn't
handle it correctly when using file.exists()

2. wrong path separators
-------
What kind of path separators do you use (backslash vs. forwardslash)?

--
Udo Rader

bestsolution.at EDV Systemhaus GmbH
http://www.bestsolution.at