[Samba] Errors: Conversion error: Illegal multibyte sequence ...

Alexander Shmugliakov SHMUGLAK at il.ibm.com
Thu Mar 27 08:16:15 GMT 2008

Hello all,

I have asked this question several days ago but go no answer. Please, can
somebody explain what can cause these messages?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running samba server  3.0.25b-1.el4_6.4 on the Red Hat Enterprise Linux
ES release 4 (Nahant Update 6). The server is set to be a part of the
Windows AD domain. The domain name is IIS. In the /var/log/samba/wb-IIS.log
I keep getting the messages similar to:

[2008/03/23 09:01:01, 3] lib/charcnv.c:convert_string_internal(265)
    convert_string_internal: Conversion error: Illegal multibyte sequence
(�`�©*U)
[2008/03/23 09:01:01, 3] lib/charcnv.c:convert_string_internal(265)
   convert_string_internal: Conversion error: Illegal multibyte sequence
(�©*U)

I've seen that questions about these messages have been already asked in
this list, but unfortunately I have not find any satisfactory answers.  My
questions are:

- Where these messages are coming from?
- Are they are signs of some malfunction and what are the possible
consequences (the server is a ClearCase server)?

The relevant part of smb.conf is:
 dos charset = CP1255
 unix charset = UTF-8
 display charset = UTF-8

Any help/hint would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
        Alexander Shmugliakov