FW: [Samba] samba and active directory on win 2003

Jaan Talvet jtalvet at njsba.org
Wed Mar 26 19:48:09 GMT 2008

Victor,

I just spent hours searching for the solution to the same problem you
are having using samba version 3.0.25b after an upgrade from version
3.0.10. the resolution for me was posted by Volker Lendecke:

"
> Make sure that the fully qualified domain name and your host name
> differ in the sense that you actually have a domain appended.
>
> Under Linux, "hostname" and "hostname -f" need to return different
> things, hostname -f should preferrably show your AD domain name
> appended.
>
> Volker
"
My /etc/hosts had an alias that made hostname & hostname -r return the
same value.

broken:
127.0.0.1       zelda localhost.localdomain   localhost
172.16.1.29     zelda.ournetwork.org zelda

Works:
127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain   localhost
172.16.1.29     zelda.ournetwork.org zelda

Hope this helps
-jaan