[Samba] new to samba, pointers/guidance needed

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Wed Mar 26 14:12:53 GMT 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:27 -0400, Ray Leventhal wrote:
> followup:
>
> I'm guessing it's the passwd backend parameter that I've got wrong.
> What's the right setting to use /etc/passwd || /etc/shadow for
> authentication?  (Using webmin, I've managed to sync the Unix users and
> samba users)

two pointers:

1. % man smb.conf

2. passdb backend = guest
how come you set this to "guest"?

according to the man page, "passdb backend" can either be:

--------CUT---------
* smbpasswd  -  The default smbpasswd backend. Takes a path to the
smbpasswd file as an optional argument.

* tdbsam - The TDB based password storage backend. Takes  a  path  to
the  TDB  as  an optional argument (defaults to passdb.tdb in the
private dir directory.

* ldapsam  -  The  LDAP based passdb backend. Takes an LDAP URL as an
optional argument (defaults to ldap://localhost)

LDAP connections should be secured where possible. This  may  be  done
using  either Start-TLS (see ldap ssl) or by specifying ldaps:// in the
URL argument.

Multiple  servers may also be specified in double-quotes, if your LDAP
libraries supports the LDAP URL notation. (OpenLDAP does).

you cannot simply use /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow for Samba. Samba needs
its own password store unless you use LDAP (ldapsam).

You should also read the extensive documentation (HOWTOs) on
www.samba.org, eg. you could start with

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/install.html

--
Udo Rader