[Samba] Printing failure through PDC

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Mar 25 23:27:39 GMT 2008

Rich West wrote:
> I recently went through a system upgrade, which resulted in an upgrade
> of Samba to 3.0.28a.  This is for a home network, so it isn't heavily
> taxed (only by family members), but I do use the environment as a
> sandbox of sorts for stuff that I plan to roll in to production in the
> office.
>
> I had some funky issues with authentication to start with after the
> upgrade, so I went through the (somewhat) painful steps to set up
> ldapsam.  I managed to get all of the users set up within LDAP, and
> all of the machine accounts configured within LDAP, and logging in and
> out of the domain with roaming profiles (using samba to create the
> machine accounts and user accounts turned out to be the right way to
> do it rather than to hand modify the LDAP accounts).
>
> The only remaining issue is with regard to printing: When a Windows
> user connects to the printer (hppsc2510) and sends a test page, they
> get an error stating that the job failed to print (unable to create
> print job).  In the log.<system name> file, I can see:
> [..snip...]
> --
> At this point, I'm truly unsure of what is failing.  I've made sure
> that /var/spool/samba exists and is world writeable.  I tried moving
> it out of the way and testing, and samba gave an appropriate error in
> the log file.  I tried shutting down CUPS and doing the same test, and
> samba gave an appropriate error then, too.
>
> I can print via the command line on the samba server (a Fedora 8 box)
> as the same user who is logged in on the windows box...
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Rich

Actually, I made some headway.. I found that we had an old setting for
"disable spoolss = yes" in place.  Removing that allowed things to get a
tiny bit forward.  I'm not seeing much logged, but I am getting "Test
page failed to print" ... "Access is denied." from the windows side.
The Windows box successfully gets the driver as supplied by the samba
server, so I know that part is working.  I'm just not sure what the
"Access is denied." is referring to...

-Rich