[Samba] Poor performance on open/copy/close/rename file operations via remote/VPN connection

gianfranco pra floriani gian at nexta.com
Tue Mar 25 22:52:44 GMT 2008

Hello Dave,
wins.dat is populated (57 entries) with rows like:
"NBGIANNINO#00" 1206781498 10.0.0.190 64R
"BLADE#00" 1206741105 10.0.0.7 66R
"BLADE#03" 1206741105 10.0.0.7 66R
"BLADE#20" 1206741105 10.0.0.7 66R
(blade is the server, nbgiannino is my pc, just as example)

using ip address (\\10.0.0.7) does not change anything in response time.

I tried to stop samba and remove wins.dat and wins.tdb to see if they
were created again once samba was restarted. This is exactly what
happened. Nothing changed in delays though.
This is really weird.

gian