[Samba] Samba printing via CUPS fails

Bob Lansley bob.lansley at analog.com
Tue Mar 25 15:31:56 GMT 2008

Hi

Having switched my Samba server from a Solaris box to a RHEL3 Linux box
I cannot get printing to work. Linux box is using CUPS to reference
various network available printers. Printer drivers have been made
available from the Samba server itself under print$. The Samba version
is 3.0.9-1.3E.13.2 (the default with RHEL3) and CUPS is 1.1.17-13.3.43
(again the RHEL3 default)

[print$]
        comment = Printer Driver Download Area
        path = /etc/samba/drivers
        admin users = root, lansley, blansle
        write list = root, lansley, blansle
        read only = No
        create mask = 0644
        guest ok = Yes

[printers]
        comment = All printers
        path = /var/samba/spool
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

Printers are configured on Win XP clients using rundll32,PrintUIEntry
/in /n \\sambaserver\printername

Printers all show up as available and ready but test page print results
in a "Access is denied" message.
Accessing "homes" shares from the same Samba server work fine so user
authentication does appear to be working.

I've verified that the path in print$ and printers is valid and accessible.

Any clues?

Cheers,

Bob