[Samba] Poor performance on open/copy/close/rename file operations via remote/VPN connection

gianfranco pra floriani gian at nexta.com
Tue Mar 25 14:31:41 GMT 2008

Hello Dave,
Thank you for your reply.
I added the following parameters to the global section:
        wins support = yes
        name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain master = yes
        os level = 65

and set VPN config and DHCP options to use the samba server as WINS
server, and restarted all clients.
I cannot say that the response time to any operation has been improved.
I checked the logs created by Samba for each client: as an example when
trying to "CTRL-C CTRL-V" a 1KB file from explorer nothing in the log
happens for about 17-18 seconds, and only after that time something is
shown:

[2008/03/25 15:17:56, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(352)
  gian opened file docs/divertimento/frame.html read=Yes write=No
(numopen=3)
[2008/03/25 15:17:57, 2] smbd/close.c:close_normal_file(344)
  gian closed file docs/divertimento/frame.html (numopen=2)
[2008/03/25 15:17:57, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(352)
  gian opened file docs/divertimento/frame.html read=Yes write=No
(numopen=3)
[2008/03/25 15:18:01, 2] smbd/open.c:open_file(352)
  gian opened file docs/divertimento/Copia di frame.html read=No
write=Yes (numopen=4)
[2008/03/25 15:18:01, 2] smbd/close.c:close_normal_file(344)
  gian closed file docs/divertimento/Copia di frame.html (numopen=3)
[2008/03/25 15:18:17, 2] smbd/close.c:close_normal_file(344)
  gian closed file docs/divertimento/frame.html (numopen=2)

As you can see, it took about 18 seconds to start the operation (no
logging info), and then 21 more seconds from the first "open" to the
last "close". This is quite annoying.
Did I set something wrong?
Thank you all for any help.
Sincerely