[Samba] Desktops for non-roaming profiles

Ryan Steele rsteele at archer-group.com
Mon Mar 24 23:18:40 GMT 2008

Hi Dennis,

Dennis McLeod wrote:
> Are you trying to use the EXISTING profile on the machine?

Yeah...

> It's not going to be as seamless as you would like.

Darn.  :-)

> Basically, you will have to sit in front of each machine, join it to the
> domain, log in as the user into the domain to create the local profile),
> reboot (to free up the user profile - logging out doesn't work), log in as
> administrator, look at c:\documents and settings to get the name of the new
> profile (usually the username appended with a .domainname), then right click
> on My computer, properties, advanced, user profiles, highlight the old
> profile, copy to button, point it at the new user profile, change
> permissions to the new user (or if it's a generic profile, use "everyone").
> Then, log back out, and in as the NEW domain user, and see what you get.

It does seem to copy the desktop items (and probably other things as
well), but drops me in to C:\, and I get weird behaviors.  It's unable
to load the Windows Classic theme (I get the error "The theme could not
load.  Unspecified error."), and exhibits odd behaviors (loading the XP
theme turns the XP theme off, for example).  The permissions look right
to me...

> It will not copy cookies or passwords (Outlook) so those will need to be
> fixed.

How about background, appearance, etc.?  None of those are preserved in
my tests, though it probably has to do with the aforementioned problem
(defaulting to C:\).

> Microsoft has a user migration tool which is supposed to do this, but it
> doesn't work, IMHO.
>
> I chose to migrate a few, and rebuild a few. It might take me a year, but
> they'll get moved, eventually.
>
> Also, I had to set local machine policy to "Only allow local profiles" and
> "Prevent Roaming profile changes from Propagating to the server":

Yeah, that helped.

> Start, Run, gpedit.msc, "Computer Configuration", "Administrative
> Templates", "system", User Profiles".
> registry string:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
> "LocalProfile"=dword:00000001
> "ReadOnlyProfile"=dword:00000001
>

> This might be why it's going to \TEMP. XP want's to pull down a roaming
> policy, but there exists none.....

I think that may be the case as well.

> If that's the case I would suspect you won't have the second (.domainname)
> profile in c:\documents and settings....

Until I changed those two entries, you're right I didn't.

> If you have a local user named bob, and a domain user named bob, and bob
> already has a local profile, if you log into the domain as bob, you should
> get a second profile named bob.domainname......
>

> HTH,
> Dennis
>

> Here's another reference:
> http://groups.google.com/group/linux.samba/msg/9c8b4de804545326

That didn't seem to fly for me either.

I'm interested to hear what you think with regards to it dropping me to
C:\.  The user DOMAINNAME\bob has privileges to access C:\Documents and
Settings\bob.DOMAINNAME, which I overwrote with the existing profile
using the Windows profile copy mechanism.

Thanks for your assistance thus far.

Ryan