[Samba] Desktops for non-roaming profiles

Ryan Steele rsteele at archer-group.com
Mon Mar 24 20:23:36 GMT 2008

Hi list,

In my current organization, we aren't going to be using roaming profiles
(for various reasons, it's not desired).  I'm moving us from no domain
controller to Samba as a PDC (with an OpenLDAP backend), and I'm trying
to make the process as invisible as possible to the end users.  Each XP
user's local desktop exists at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>

...and I'd like Samba to log them in to the domain and use that as their
local desktop.  Currently, on my test machines it's setting their local
desktop as:

C:\Documents and Settings\TEMP

...which isn't quite what I want, as the desktop icons are located in
...\<username>, not ...\TEMP.  I don't get any errors, the Event Viewer
yields nothing, and the folder "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>"
has the proper permissions (as the local machine's administrator, I
added them by browsing to the domain controller and selecting the user
from the list)

In my global section of the smb.conf, I've got:

        domain master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        logon script = logon.bat
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%N\%u

...and the [netlogon] share is pretty vanilla.

I guess what I need to know is whether I can tell Samba somehow to try
and first use "C:\Documents and Settings\<username>", and THEN fall back
to other options.  Is this possible (and feasible)?

Thanks,
Ryan