[Samba] refuse login from more then one machine at a time.

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Fri Mar 21 14:50:45 GMT 2008

Jack Mendez wrote:

> Hello listers,
> I am using samba 3.0.24 on Ubuntu.  I need to deny users from logging on
> to the domain and any shares from more then one machine.  The users are
> now able to login, walk over to another machine and log in again user the
> same username and password for as many machines as they like. I do want
> them to be able to login to any machine on the network so deny hosts won't
> work for my solution.    The sample scripts are not working properly in my
> environment and once I upgrade I understand they will not function at all.
>  The max connections per share are not applicable because once the user
> provides the password they are already logged on to the domain.  I need a
> complete, workable solution.   Links to the scripts,
> http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba...il/119867.html and
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/....html#id386516   in the archive as
> I said previously do not work.  These are xp systems with all the patches
> in place.

Jack,

I think you are asking too much here and even if you manage
to hack it to work there will be an overwhelming increase
in the number of support calls as users will be mistakenly
blocked from logging in due to either a hung session or
a file share opened indirectly elsewhere.

I have such a thing going here, but I am using thin clients
on the desktops and a pool of terminal servers for users
to log in to on the backend, combined with session directory
and a group policy limit of 1 terminal session per user,
but with full desktops you don't have that luxury.

-Ross