[Samba] Recycle module... Stable?

Mike Wilkinson mwilkinson at bigbangdigitalstudios.com
Thu Mar 20 15:24:23 GMT 2008

Tim Bates wrote:
> Michael Heydon wrote:
>> Could the files have been moved rather than deleted? I find alot more
>> users accidentally dragging when double clicking than I do
>> accidentally deleting things.
> Well, I did a search on the entire set of folders we share on samba,
> and didn't find anything like what they said it was called. Not even
> in the recycle folders. Which is why I asked about it's stability.
> Of course it's probably more likely it never existed where they though
> it was... They'll probably find it on a flash drive or something  ;-)
>
> At least now I know someone is using that module and hasn't had any
> true problems. I can feel happier about having it enabled.
>
> TB
I know it doesn't help now, but we see this accidental explorer
drag/drop enough to always enable the full_audit module on all our
writable shares, and have it syslog the result. It makes life a breeze
when files go missing, especially when they don't quite get the name
right...

  vfs objects = full_audit
  full_audit:priority = NOTICE
  full_audit:facility = LOCAL5
  full_audit:prefix = %I|%U|//%L/%S
  full_audit:success = rmdir unlink rename
  full_audit:failure = none

At least this way you know where it went, which machine did it, and when...