[Samba] Domain Authentication Issue - Bug Found

Alex Harrington alex at longhill.org.uk
Thu Mar 20 08:14:05 GMT 2008

> This does not seem logical, it does not seem real, but the results
have proven themselves to be true.

Hi Dalton

It sounds very strange. I'm no Samba dev but I do have a fair experience
with AD.

Could it be that the Windows server in question has somehow got one of
the FSMO roles assigned to it? If it were say a RID master then nothing
would be able to make any form of account on the domain until the RID
master has synced with other domain controllers. The time difference
could have been sufficient to stop that replication happening.

Does the output of "netdom query fsmo" on the corporate domain
controllers and on the server with time problems agree?

It also strikes me that you say you have the issue affect both Samba and
XP clients? Or was the problem on XP described substantially different
for the XP boxes?

Alex