[Samba] Recycle module... Stable?

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Thu Mar 20 07:56:54 GMT 2008

Tim Bates wrote:
> Michael Heydon wrote:
>> Could the files have been moved rather than deleted? I find alot more
>> users accidentally dragging when double clicking than I do
>> accidentally deleting things.
> Well, I did a search on the entire set of folders we share on samba,
> and didn't find anything like what they said it was called. Not even
> in the recycle folders. Which is why I asked about it's stability.
> Of course it's probably more likely it never existed where they though
> it was... They'll probably find it on a flash drive or something  ;-)
>
> At least now I know someone is using that module and hasn't had any
> true problems. I can feel happier about having it enabled.
>
> TB

Another thing that I have found to be quite useful in similar cases is
rsync snapshots. It makes it much easier to restore directory structures
and the like and by using hard links it doesn't take up substantially
more space (our backup server is using about 150% of the space used by
the live server and it is storing hourly snapshots for the past day,
daily snapshots for the past week and weekly snapshots for the past
month). We only keep recycled files for the past week it is convenient
if someone just deletes one or two files or if they have made lots of
changes to a file within the past hour and want to go back to an old
version, any job bigger than that and we bring the whole directory
across from the backup server.

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>