[Samba] Running a login script

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Wed Mar 19 15:12:58 GMT 2008

You can run it from anywhere, BUT, you'd have to have the drive mapped first
if it's on a network share.
You MAY be able to do a //server/share/logonscript.bat (I flipped the
slashes on purpose...), but I haven't tried that.

I copy a simple script (I have THAT as part of my logon script, too. Copy a
new one if it's different. Robocopy) to the local machine, and that one
launches the logon script from the server.

My local script looks like:
@echo off
net use q: \\server\login SECRETPASSWORD /user:login /persistent:no > NUL
CALL q:\logon.bat > NUL

Then my REAL logon script is the q:\logon.bat

I used gpedit to point the machine at the local batch file.

I have a registry string (For XP) to make the gpedit part easy:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logoff
]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logoff
\0]
"GPO-ID"="LocalGPO"
"SOM-ID"="Local"
"FileSysPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\GroupPolicy\\User"
"DisplayName"="Local Group Policy"
"GPOName"="Local Group Policy"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logoff
\0\0]
"Script"="logoff.bat"
"Parameters"=""
"ExecTime"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logon]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logon\
0]
"GPO-ID"="LocalGPO"
"SOM-ID"="Local"
"FileSysPath"="C:\\WINDOWS\\System32\\GroupPolicy\\User"
"DisplayName"="Local Group Policy"
"GPOName"="Local Group Policy"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System\Scripts\Logon\
0\0]
"Script"="logonscript.bat"
"Parameters"=""
"ExecTime"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

Save that as a .reg file, and you can double click it to merge the file.
(Notice there is a logoff script in there too......)

I put THAT in my (server) logon script too, and ran the logon script the
first time remotely, with psexec:

"C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Desktop\PsTools\psexec.exe" @machines.txt
-u administrator -p SECRETPASSWORD -c logon.bat >> c:\psexec\results.txt

The machines.txt file is the list of machines I want it to run on.
You must know the (or another account with admin privileges) administrator
account password....
Hope that helps...

I tested this manually on a few machines first, before I ran it on the
rest......

Dennis