[Samba] Setting up ADS in Samba with MIT kerberos mapping/backend

Adam Tauno Williams adamtaunowilliams at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 13:58:45 GMT 2008

> Don't use NFS.  It is trivial to compromise the security of NFS - you
> simply need root on something, set your IP and su as needed.  If the
> tactic is not clear poke me off list.  NFS is never the answer outside
> of the data center.

I don't believe this is true.  For one, NFS can squash root access.  And
NFSv4 supports Kerberos authentication.

<http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/securing_nfs>
<http://nfsworld.blogspot.com/2006/02/real-authentication-in-nfs.html>

I'm not advocating NFS, just pointing out that the NFS-is-insecure
arguement isn't true in a Kerbized network.
--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com