[Samba] a bit OT: Windows XP clients & performance

Udo Rader udo.rader at bestsolution.at
Wed Mar 19 13:15:50 GMT 2008

Hi,

I am just setting up a samba installation that will finally be utilized
by approx. 150 workstations, most of them WXP.

Now after successfully installing & integrating samba into the existing
W2K3 ADS structure, we started tuning the server by for example
measuring network load.

What currently puzzles us is that Windows XP clients never seem to get
over 85 to 90Mbit, eg. when copying large files from/to the server
(from/to does not make a difference).

Using FTP we can easily reach rates just below 100Mbit and copying files
locally on the samba server using smbclient gives us > 2Gbits, so it is
apparently no samba problem.

For testing purposes we even put all the boxes involved on a seperate
switch, but that did not change anything ...

So I have 2 questions:

1. has someone else seen the same?

2. can this be circumvented (if not on the samba side, maybe on the
   client side?)

TIA!

--
Udo Rader