[Samba] vista svn checkout to mapped drive slower than xp

stoffell stoffell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 11:58:01 GMT 2008

Hi,

On a vista pc we run Syncrosvn client to check out svn repositories to
a samba share. It works but on Vista this takes much longer than on
windows xP. Checkout or status check on local disk work normally.
(tried the same on a different vista pc, same problem..)

To troubleshoot this I created a smaller test SVN repository to make
it easier to read network captures. (I made a svn repository using the
putty source code) Our 'normal' repositories range from 40 -> 100Mb in
size. (doing captures on those would create huge files..)

I have placed the files on http://stoffell.be/samba/ and have read the
CIFS document of SNIA but only have found out that: When vista does a
checkout or "svn status --verbose" the capture files show a lot more
"NT Create AndX Request". 6188 packets, compared to 140 (on XP). Is
this related to the problem or should I tweak something in Vista to
"workaround" this?

Hope to get some feedback on this and if I need to collect more info,
please let me know..

The tech info:
Samba version 3.0.24 is running on Debian Etch. (fully updated)
Vista 32bit is fully updated. (no SP1 yet)
XP sp2
Syncro svn client v3.1 (also tested with Tortoisesvn, same issues)
Vista and XP connected over 100 Mbit switched network.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

cheers,
Kristof