[Samba] ntlm_auth

Dean, Barry B.Dean at liverpool.ac.uk
Tue Mar 18 10:21:53 GMT 2008

I am trying to get FreeRADIUS using Samba's ntlm auth for MSCHAPv2 authentication.

I asked this question over on the FreeRADIUS list, and I think the stunned silence means that the folks over there think you guys in the Samba world may be able to help better.

I admit it's been a few years since I did any Samba!

I have joined my two RADIUS servers (FreeRADIUS 2.0.2, Solaris 10 x86, Sun's winbindd 3.0.25a) to our AD domain with the "net join" command. This worked (eventually!).

Now when I test "ntlm_auth" I get the following odd goings on:

Scenario A: Works

	Type: ntlm_auth --username=USER --password=PASSWORD --domain=DOMAIN
	Result: NT_STATUS_OK: Success (0x0)

Scenario B: FAILS

	Type: ntlm_auth --username=USER --domain=DOMAIN
		password: <PASSWORD>

	Result: NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD: Wrong Password (0xc000006a)

What's different about the password handling between A and B?

The upshot is that the command issued by FreeRADIUS:

ntlm_auth = "/usr/sfw/bin/ntlm_auth --request-nt-key --username= %{Stripped-User-Name:-%{User-Name:-None}} --challenge=%{mschap:Challenge:-00} -- nt-response=%{mschap:NT-Response:-00}"

the %{} bits become a basic domain free user name, eg "user", and some long Hex strings...

Also fails.

So my MSCHAPv2 auth is now broken.

This worked with our Test AD environment fine. I am told the only difference between test/production is:

1) Production is in "native mode"
2) Production supports logins using both "USER\livad.liv.ac.uk" and "USER at liverpool.ac.uk" forms.

Thanks in advance.