[Samba] win2003 STOP error

Anton fox_pmxuuj at trashmail.net
Tue Mar 18 03:16:55 GMT 2008

Hi. Please excuse me if this is wrong place to ask.

There is two servers involved in this case, Windows 2003 and Debian Linux.

Windows 2003 is the Terminal Server, it runs multiple Remote Desktop
Protocol sessions in the same time. At the first occurrence of the problem,
it was Windows 2003 Server Standart SP1, in process of troubleshooting it
was upgraded to SP2. The same error occurs on fresh installation of the same
OS on another box.

Samba is running on Debian Linux server, all was fine while this server was
running Debian Sarge (Samba version 3.0.14a-3sarge10). After upgrading Linux
server to Debian Etch (Samba version 3.0.24-6etch8) windows server
periodically get 'STOP' error with code 0x0000008e 0xC0000005 0x804e446a.
Here is screenshots from two such errors:
    http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/8988/bsod01sbu3.jpg
    http://img296.imageshack.us/img296/2970/bsod02soh2.jpg

Restoring Debian Sarge from backup removes the problem completely.

Installing Samba from backports-sarge (version 3.0.23c-1~bpo.1) brings the
same problem again. So, I think, the cause is some change in the Samba code
between 3.0.14 and 3.0.23.

The same behaviour (STOP errors after Samba upgrade) I got in another
network with nearly the same configuration.

This is production environment, I can't freely play with it. I was trying to
reproduce the same behaviour in test network but without success. Maybe it's
because the number of windows terminal server clients (and Samba requests)
was too small.

Actually it was some months ago, there was no more time to deal with this
problem and I just leave the system in previous state. But now I need to
upgrade it, so please, help me, I just don't know what to do with it.

This is smb.conf: ===================
[global]
bind interfaces only        = yes
interfaces            = lan, lo
dos charset            = CP866
unix charset            = koi8-r
display charset            = UTF8
workgroup            = MAIN
netbios name            = files
server string            = files
security            = user
encrypt passwords        = true
preferred master        = yes
local master            = yes
os level            = 100
wins support            = yes
lanman auth            = no
max log size            = 1000
log level            = 1

;; share defaults
oplocks                = no
wide links            = no
follow symlinks            = yes
hide unreadable            = yes
delete readonly            = yes
map system            = no
map hidden            = no
map archive            = no
veto files            = /lost+found/
directory mask            = 0770
create mask            = 0660
browsable            = no
writeable            = no
guest ok            = no
map to guest            = Bad User
force user            = smbguest
force group            = smbguest
guest ok            = no
hosts allow            = 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0

[soft]
    path            = /files/soft
    wide links        = yes
    writeable        = no