[Samba] HP Deskjet 6940 and 6988

Michael Heydon michaelh at jaswin.com.au
Mon Mar 17 06:15:28 GMT 2008

Glenn Arnold wrote:
> I tried Centos 5.1 samba version 3.0.25b with my samba smb.conf and I
> still get the General Protection fault when I click on the Paper\Quality
> tab under Print Preferences on the HP Deskjet 6940.  Here is the config
> that I used on Ubuntu and Centos. I just want to make sure that I have
> everything configured right with samba.  Will samba 3.2 fix this issue?

General Protection fault is an actual crash, short of (somehow)
overwriting memory, it is not possible for one process to cause another
one to crash. Crashes occur because the program that crashed, failed. If
the Windows driver has a bug then that isn't something that can be fixed
by samba (samba might impliment a work around by not doing something
that induces the crash, but the flaw in the crashing program will still
exist it will just be hidden).

Are you using point and print?

Is the user on the client a local administrator?
> <snip>
> printer admin = @lpadmin garnold
> <snip>

This is depreciated, have you granted permissions using "net"?

*Michael Heydon - IT Administrator *
michaelh at jaswin.com.au <mailto:michaelh at jaswin.com.au>