[Samba] HP Deskjet 6940 and 6988

Glenn Arnold garnold at unrealsolutions.com
Sun Mar 16 22:01:58 GMT 2008

Hello all,

Does anybody share HP Deskjet 6940 and HP Deskjet 6988 off a samba
server successfully?  I currently using Samba versions 3.0.24 Ubuntu
Fiesty Fawn in my production environment.  I also the issue occurs on my
laptop which is running Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 which uses Samba 3.0.26.  The
issue is when my users try to print multiple copies they can not through
the samba server.  These printers are hooked directly to the network and
cups is printing directly to the print through raw queue and using
sockets.  When I did further investigation I found with the driver
initialized if I click on printing preferences and click Paper\Quality
Tab I get the following message "Function address 0x77c47efe caused a
protection fault.  (exception code 0xc00000005)  The application
property sheet page(s) may not function properly."  I tried adding the
driver with default devmode = yes which I have had to use in the past to
get some HP Deskjet printers to work.  Here is smb.conf for my Gutsy
setup.  Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further?  I will try to
install 3.0.28 with a vm session of Hardy ubuntu and see if I get the
same results.

Thanks
-Glenn

[global]

## Browsing/Identification ###

            workgroup = HACKERVILLE

            server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)

            log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
            max log size = 1000

# If you want Samba to only log through syslog then set the following
# parameter to 'yes'.
;           syslog only = no

            syslog = 0

            security = user

            encrypt passwords = true

            passdb backend = tdbsam

            obey pam restrictions = yes

;           guest account = nobody
            invalid users = root

load printers = yes
printcap name = cups
printer admin = @lpadmin garnold

############ Misc ############

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /home/samba/etc/smb.conf.%m

            username map = /etc/samba/smbusers

 [homes]
            comment = Home Directories
            browseable = no
            valid users = %S
            writable = yes
            create mask = 0770

[printers]
            comment = All Printers
            browseable = no
            path = /var/spool/samba
            printable = yes
            public = no
            writable = no
            create mode = 0700

 [print$]
            comment = Printer Drivers
            path = /var/lib/samba/printers
            browseable = yes
            read only = yes
            default devmode = yes
;           guest ok = no
# Uncomment to allow remote administration of Windows print drivers.
# Replace 'ntadmin' with the name of the group your admin users are
# members of.
   write list = root, garnold, @ntadmin