[Samba] Browser Logon by smbclient.

Dave Coventry dc at davec.uklinux.net
Sat Mar 15 14:48:24 GMT 2008

Hi,

Would it be possible to implement a user's logon via a perl script
using smbclient?

What I would like to be able to achieve would be the following:

1. At the very least an awareness on the server that the local lan
user is using squid to access the internet so that I can run
'smbstatus' to see if the client is connected.

2. As a bonus to run logon scripts to Map the user's XP machines to a
drive, say the 'R:\' drive.

I appreciate that the second is unlikely to be able to be implemented
due to security concerns, however, it would be nice to have some way
of tracking who is using the squid server.

I realise that squid tracks the IP numbers, but the IPs are assigned
by DHCP, I would like to use samba to associate an IP with a user
name. Normal authentication won't work because the proxy is
transparent (new machines are added and removed all the time,
particularly laptops).

Kind Regards,

Dave Coventry