[Samba] msdfs root -- client error "refers to a location that isunavailable"

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Sat Mar 15 02:05:29 GMT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, John Drescher wrote:

> One other question. Does the path /var/lib/samba/shares/user have any
> files other then the dfs links?

While I did create various files/directories during testing, on my initial
test only the following link existed:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 Mar 10 16:26 henson -> msdfs:zfs1.unx.csupomona.edu\henson

I also cleaned up the remnants of my testing, leaving only the above link
again, and tried again from a fresh client, with the same failure.

If I pull up an actual Windows 2003 server running Dfs, and right-click on
the share, there is a DFS tab. Pulling up the samba server, there is no
such tab on the share properties. Also, the Windows server is identified as
"Windows Server", whereas the samba server is identified as "Windows NT 4.9
Server"; I'm not sure if that makes a difference...

Thanks...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768