[Samba] msdfs root -- client error "refers to a location that isunavailable"

Paul B. Henson henson at acm.org
Fri Mar 14 23:38:13 GMT 2008

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008, John Drescher wrote:

> Did you reboot the XP box after setting the dfs link up on the linux
> server?

The linux server never existed as a non-dfs root, and the client had never
connected to it before. However, on general principle (being Windows) I
rebooted it anyway with no change. I also attempted to access it from my
notebook computer, which hadn't even been turned on since before the linux
server was built, with the same failure result.

As far as I can tell from my research, it just seems that there are some
fair number of variables that determine whether or not a Windows client
will consider a share a DFS root, and evidently I'm missing one of them
8-/.

Thanks...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson at csupomona.edu
California State Polytechnic University  |  Pomona CA 91768