[Samba] WinXP Pro can't join Domain (Samba PDC) after server migration but current domain machine are OK

Rubin Bennett rbennett at thatitguy.com
Fri Mar 14 01:33:01 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 20:10 -0400, Mathieu Beaudoin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a Samba PDC running on unstable hardware. I migrate everything on a
> new machine, I transferred all the configuration files (smb.conf, smbpasswd,
> .), transferred all the users and groups. Everything was working 100% until
> I had to join a new machine to Domain, WinXP Pro SP2 can't find de Domin
> Controler, but all the WinXP Pro SP2 that where already in the Domain before
> the migration can logon fine, their roaming profiles are updated fine and
> they access the shares with no problems. I just can't join a new machine. I
> reinstall Samba completely on the server, reconfigure everything manually
> (not using the old smb.conf) and no change. I try to disable the firewall,
> no change. I'm out of idea.

I've seen similar behaviour before, always after an upgrade (it seems
more common when upgrading a 32bit OS to a 64 bit, IIRC).  My fix was to
export the tdb to smbpasswd, and reimport.  That seems to fix it pretty
consistently.

Rubin

--
Rubin Bennett
RB Technologies
rbennett at thatitguy.com
(802)223-4448

temporary security deserve neither liberty nor safety"
  --Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759