[Samba] Re: cifs verses smbfs for Linux clients -time stamp issue

Lukasz Szybalski szybalski at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:25:18 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:06 PM, Günter Kukkukk <samba at kukkukk.com> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 6. März 2008 schrieb Lukasz Szybalski:
>
> > After mounting a windows share via cifs I have came across the same
>  > issue as described here:
>  >
>  > http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2006-April/119813.html
>  >
>  > "While using vim on files mounted under CIFS, when trying to write an
>  > existing file you will randomly be warned "The file has been changed
>  > since reading it!!!".  Normally, this only occurs when another user
>  > accesses and saves the between your opening and writing.  I can verify
>  > this is not the case and is not/was not an issue for files mounted under
>  > SMBFS.  I'm assuming there is a discrepancy between what the server
>  > machine is telling the client is the last modification or access
>  > date/time.
>  > "
>  >
>  > Is there an option for cifs that fixes this issue? This was on the
>  > list back in 2006 I'm not sure why it is still the case in 2008?
>
>  a) what version of cifs are you running?
Outcome of "modinfo cifs".

debianlaptop:/home/lucas# modinfo cifs
filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.18-5-686/kernel/fs/cifs/cifs.ko
author:         Steve French <sfrench at us.ibm.com>
license:        GPL
Specification e.g. Samba and Windows
version:        1.45
vermagic:       2.6.18-5-686 SMP mod_unload 686 REGPARM gcc-4.1
depends:
srcversion:     947121FFF98B91DF60B2922
parm:           cifs_max_pending:Simultaneous requests to server.
Default: 50 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_small:Small network buffers in pool. Default:
30 Range: 2 to 256 (int)
parm:           cifs_min_rcv:Network buffers in pool. Default: 4
Range: 1 to 64 (int)
parm:           CIFSMaxBufSize:Network buffer size (not including
header). Default: 16384 Range: 8192 to 130048 (int)

>  b) what kind of operating system - *nix, windows or ... - is running
>    on the remote box to which you connect via cifs?

windows 2000

>  In case you're mounting a remote samba server, are the "unix extensions"
>  enabled?

I'm mounting from linux to windows, but if i mounted to linux how could I tell.
Lucas