[Samba] file creation mode is not obeyed

Dennis McLeod dmcleod at foranyauto.com
Thu Mar 13 15:11:33 GMT 2008

I'm not sure you gave enough information to help you, so I'll throw out the
basics.
Just like on Windows Server, there are 2 sets of permissions you have to
deal with.
Share permissions, which are the permissions the user has through the share,
and file permissions, or the permissions the user has on the directory
itself.
Share permissions are the ones you setup in SAMBA.
File permissions are the ones you setup in the OS.
The user (or group) has to have permission in both places to be able to
write.
You can set the Samba permissions to Group write, but if the group (or user)
doesn't have permission to write to the folder, it still won't work.

I like to refer to
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/small.html#id2553063 Step
number 13 to remember how to set the folder permissions. (chmod -R
ug+rwx,o+rx-w /data)
(This assumes you setup all your shared folders as subfolders of /data...)

This is the same in Windows (at least W2Kserver, last I used) You can share
a folder, but you still have to setup user/group permissions on the folder
itself in order for it to work.
HTH, and sorry if you already knew this....
Dennis