[Samba] Is there a maximum number of shares samba can serve?

Marcello Romani mromani at ottotecnica.com
Thu Mar 13 14:03:24 GMT 2008

Eric Boehm ha scritto:
> I am being asked to determine the feasibility of serving hundreds
> (300-400) of directories as individual shares instead of sharing a single
> parent directory.
>
> Personally, I don't think this is a good idea. Clients will go from
> having a single connection to a single share to 50-300 connections to
> multiple shares. That can't be good for performance or load.
>
> I've searched the mailing list, the web, the documentation, the wiki
> and the source code. I haven't been able to determine the maximum, if
> any. Of course, I may have missed it. Feel free to point me to the
> correct documentation or source file.
>
> I've seen some references that you can't have either more than 145 or
> 165 shares per samba server.
>
> However, if there is anyone running such a large number of shares and
> has advice, I am happy to listen.

Hi,
     I found some docs about this smb.conf parameter:

usershare max shares

which specifies the maximum number of shares that the samba admin will
allow non-root users to create via the command

net usershare add

( read for example
http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/manpages-3/net.8.html )

The example value given in the docs for the usershare max shares
parameter is 100, which makes me think that a samba server should cope
with a number of shares in the hundreds.

I know it's not much, but I HTH nonetheless.

--
Marcello Romani
Responsabile IT