[Samba] problem to join windows XP hosts to samba-ldap PDC

Jim Shanks jim at shanks.cc
Thu Mar 13 04:57:45 GMT 2008

> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 12:43:26 -0600 (CST), Jim Shanks wrote
>> >

>> > hi
>> >
>> > i have installed a PDC with SAMBA and LDAP but when i want to join my
>> > Windows XP hosts
>> > to SAMBA LDAP PDC i have the following error
>> >
>> > " username or password unknown"
>> >
>> > Any help in order to resolve this problem will be appreciated
>> >
>> > --sam
>> > --
>> > TRS - Technologies Reseaux & Solutions (http://www.trstech.net)
>> >

>> Hello,
>>
>> You may have already done this, but you'll need some helper scripts to
>> populate the ldap directory.  smbldap-tools is very popular and works
>> quite well.  There may already be a version for your distribution or you
>> can check at:  https://gna.org/projects/smbldap-tools/ to get the
>> current
>> source.
>>
>> Carefully read and follow the documentation.  It's a bit tricky to setup
>> the first time, but well worth the effort.
>>
>> Jim
>
> heello
>
> i have installed the smbldap-tool but i have the error when i want to
> integrate my
> windows XP hosts to the domain which is set up on the samba.
>
> --sam
>
> --
> TRS - Technologies Reseaux & Solutions (http://www.trstech.net)

Hi Again,

OK, you have smbldap-tools installed.

You haven't provided much information about the error or the nature of the
problem, so I'm going to ask a few questions if you don't mind.

What operating system and what version are you running?

What version of Samba?

Did you compile from source or did you use the binary packages provided
with the distribution?

Same goes for LDAP, which LDAP, and version?

Have you read and followed the instruction in the Samba by Example Guide?
It's located at:  http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/

And most importantly, what errors are you seeing?

Just a quick note:  My experience has been with Samba 2.x and 3.0.x as a
Windows NT type domain controller using Open-LDAP witn smb-ldap tools on
RedHat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu Server.  I have used Windows 98, 2000,
XP and Vista clients as well as Linux clients.  I try to stick with the
version provided with the distribution unless there is some new feature
that we absolutely need.  So, I may not be able to answer all of your
questions, but I will try to point you in the right direction.  Also, I've
found the best information comes from the Official Samba-3 by Example
documentation.  Plus you'll want to read the release notes for the version
you are running.

Anyway, please provide the information, and I'll try to help.

Jim