[Samba] Get logged on username (several sessions on the same machine)

Douglas VanLeuven roamdad at sonic.net
Thu Mar 13 01:12:41 GMT 2008

Michael Heydon wrote:
> Kurthermal wrote:
>> But the machine has been rebooted and another user has opened a
>> session on it, but 'net status session' or 'net session' continue to
>> claim that there are 2 users logged on the same machine. It isn't
>> always the case, I think it can be due for example to a reset of the
>> machine so windows didn't close cleanly the network resources.
>>
>> Is there a way to get samba close all connections from a machine if
>> another user try to open a new network resource from that machine ?
> reset on zero vc
>> <snip>
>
> I'm not sure what would happen in cases where you legitimately have
> multiple users on a single machine (term servers, someone using "run
> as", services accessing shares) but in the case of a single user PC it
> should do what you want.

That one snuck by me.  No it doesn't affect remote desktop use, but then
it just doesn't seem to do anything at all.  At least with an XP box
talking to samba.  When I pulled the network cable while a file was
open, logged off, logged on as another user and reconnected, it didn't
kill the previous session either and the file is still locked, which was
the original justification on technical - snaffu sessions across vpn.

I once filed a report on a related issue - logging off and back on
rapidly would allow the new user to see the home share of the previously
logged on user though not browse it.  Same basic reasoning it was closed
out was multi-user systems make it happen that way.  In some of the
environments I worked in, it was perceived as a flaw and I debated that
and lost.

I do a lot of vpn and got excited it might work.  It might with a
different scenario.

I just logged on, browsed, and logged off as the original user.  Darn
file is still locked.

Regards, Doug