[Samba] [smb.conf] "browseable = no EXCEPT valid users" possible ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 18:25:50 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 1:57 PM, Frederic Notet <fred at 2make2.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm looking for a solution to my problem :
>
>  i have a samba server with ldap auth on Debian ETCH.
>
>  I need to configure this samba for multi-group and multi-users.
>
>  Example :
>
>  user 1 (from group1) have to see his own directory (for writing), his
>  group' directory (for writing and sharing) but also the "homes" of
>  others users from this group...
>
>  user2 (from group2) don't have to see group1 or "user1'home "... he
>  only have to access to group2 ' directory and group2' users' directory
>
>  user3 (from group1) have to see his own directory, the directory of
>  group1 and the directory of user1 (but for this one, only for
>  "dropping" files/folder. he can't see what's inside...)
>

>  So i need a "browseable = no EXCEPT valid users", is it possible ?

Have you tried to accomplish this by setting the permissions on the
unix filesystem? I mean samba will respect the posix rights on the
host filesystem unless you force otherwise in smb.conf. If you set the
correct permissions on unix and use hide unreadable in smb.conf I
believe you will get what you want.

John