[Samba] Using Samba 3.0.28 on Solaris 8 in combination with Windows NT (no ADS)

Meurs.Ken at ing.be Meurs.Ken at ing.be
Wed Mar 12 14:06:13 GMT 2008

All,

I have the following problem using Samba 3.0.28 on Solaris 8 in
combination with Windows NT (no ADS):

When I set permissions on shares (using "Computer Management from
Windows"), Samba doesn't seem to act accordingly.
If for example I have a share called HOME with the following
permissions:

Everyone (full control)
My user account in the domain (full control)

This way I can connect to the share with my user account without any
problem.
But when I remove Everyone from the list (with my admin account in the
domain) and keep my account with full control, I'm unable to access the
share.
The permissions on my homedirectory are currently 777 and even this
doesn't work.

The configuration used:

Solaris 8
Samba Version 3.0.28 3.0.28
--> compiled with the following options:
	--with-ads=yes
	--with-ldap=yes
	--with-privatedir=/usr/local/samba/private
	--with-swatdir=/usr/local/samba/swat
	--with-logfilebase=/usr/local/samba/var
	--with-configdir=/etc/samba
	--with-lockdir=/usr/local/samba/var/locks
	--with-piddir=/usr/local/samba/var
	--with-libdir=/usr/local/samba/lib
	--with-included-popt
	--with-readline=/usr/local/lib
	--with-libiconv=/usr/local/lib
	--enable-debug
	--enable-socket-wrapper
	--with-acl-support
	--with-aio-support
	--with-winbind

My smb.conf:

[global]
security = DOMAIN
realm = <DOMAIN>
workgroup = <DOMAIN>
server string = <SERVERNAME>
domain master = no
local master = no
enable privileges = yes
password server = <PASSWORD SERVERS>
netbios name = <SERVERNAME>
wins server = <WINS SERVER>
wins proxy = yes
wins support = no
username map = /etc/samba/username.map
log level = 10
log file = /usr/local/samba/var/logfile-%L-%I
socket options = TCP_NODELAY  IPTOS_THROUGHPUT  SO_RCVBUF=4096
SO_SNDBUF=4096
winbind separator = +
use kerberos keytab = no
ntlm auth = yes
nt acl support = yes
name resolve order = wins lmhosts hosts bcast
winbind cache time = 10
winbind use default domain = yes
winbind enum groups = yes
winbind enum users = yes
winbind uid = 50000-70000
winbind gid = 50000-70000
idmap uid = 50000-70000
idmap gid = 50000-70000
acl map full control = yes
admin users = <ADMIN USERS>
force unknown acl user = yes
passdb backend = smbpasswd

[HOME]
path = <PATH TO HOME DIRECTORY>
comment = Home Directories
create mask = 640
directory mask = 750
browsable = yes
read only = no

Any ideas/hints are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Ken.

ATTENTION:
The information in this electronic mail message is private and
confidential, and only intended for the addressee. Should you
receive this message by mistake, you are hereby notified that
any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or use of this
message is strictly prohibited. Please inform the sender by
reply transmission and delete the message without copying or
opening it.

Messages and attachments are scanned for all viruses known.
If this message contains password-protected attachments, the
files have NOT been scanned for viruses by the ING mail domain.