[Samba] Samba exporting an NFS mount

Michael Bagehot bagehot at linuxmail.org
Tue Mar 11 19:56:30 GMT 2008

Hello,
   I have an NFS server with all our user's home directories on a server that does not support SMB.  I wish to mount this directory on a second system and re-export it via samba so that users can access their unix home directories from their windows boxes.  My samba server is running CentOS 5.0, and I have the the home directories mounted at /home/na, and there is no rootsquash, so the root user on my server has full access to the home directoris.  My smb.conf is below:
[global]
        workgroup = UNIXPEOPLE
        server string = smbserver
        # logs split per machine
        # max 50KB per log file, then rotate
        security = user
        passdb backend = tdbsam
        # the login script name depends on the machine name
        # the login script name depends on the unix user used
        # disables profiles support by specifing an empty path
        load printers = yes
        cups options = raw
        #obtain list of printers automatically on SystemV
[unixhome]
        comment = unix home directories
        path = /home/na
        valid users = myusername
        public = no
        writable = yes
        printable = no
        create mask = 0700

  I know my samba is configured correctly, in general, because if I export /tmp, then I can mount it just fine from my WinXP client.  But, when I make the simple change to export /home/na, then it fails.  My windows client gives me the error "System error 53 has occurred.  The network path was not found."  In /var/log/messages on my samba server, I get:
Mar 11 15:35:21 smbserver smbd[26668]:   '/home/na' does not exist or permission denied when connecting to [unixhome] Error was Permission denied
Is there some configuration I have to do to samba to get it to re-export a remote mount?  Thanks,

Michael

=
$1,000,000,000 In a Day?
How You Too Can Invest in the Same Market the Mega-Rich Make Billions.
http://a8-asy.a8ww.net/a8-ads/adftrclick?redirectid=aae7ba4b061409f16e07e5829f0aa239