[Samba] SWAT Won't Start - Alarm Clock

Oddball monkey9 at iae.nl
Tue Mar 11 19:34:58 GMT 2008

Bit schreef:
> Paul Venzke wrote:
>> On Mon March 10 2008 10:07, Bit wrote:
>>
>>> Hey everyone,
>>>
>>> If anyone could help me with this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.
>>>
>>> Whenever I try to start swat (from the command-line by invoking
>>> /usr/sbin/swat), it sits there for a very long time as if it's running,
>>> but any attempt to use telnet to the port or point my browser at it
>>> results in nothing, as if swat were just not running.  Firewalling
>>> is no
>>> issue, I've disabled it.  Swat ultimately dies after a few minutes
>>> giving no output to the console other than "Alarm clock".  What does
>>> this error message mean?
>>>
>>> I've tried running swat with -d 10 and "strace /usr/sbin/swat -o
>>> myfile"
>>> hoping that the output will mean more to someone else than it does to
>>> me.  I've seen other people with this problem googling around, but no
>>> solution, and I can't seem to figure it out on my own.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for the help,
>>> bit
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> Have you tried using your browser  with http://localhost:901/
>>

> Yes, and I get nothing.  I can't recall the exact error message in
> Firefox (and I don't have access to the machine at the moment), but
> it's basically as if nothing is there whatsoever.
>
> Sounds like I may *have* to run swat through xinetd.

Yes you have.
Networkservices, xinetd have to have swat enabled, *and* it has to have
a port assigned, which is 901. swats default port.

/etc/xinetd.d
----------------------

# SWAT is the Samba Web Administration Tool.
service smpnameres
{
        enable          = yes
        socket_type     = stream
    protocol        = tcp
    wait            = no
    user            = root
    server          = /usr/sbin/swat
    only_from       = 127.0.0.1
    log_on_failure  = USERID
}

if smpnameres does not activate the port, replace it with swat...

--

Enjoy your time around,

Oddball         (Now or never...)

  Besturingssysteem:  Linux 2.6.24.1-6-default x86_64
  Current user:  oddball at AMD64x2-sfn1
  System:  openSUSE 11.0 (x86_64) Alpha2
  KDE:  4.0.2 (KDE 4.0.2) "release 8.1"