[Samba] File share access problems

Dean Guenther guenther at palousecom.com
Tue Mar 11 18:26:36 GMT 2008

Greetings,

Since rebooting our samba server last night, we are no longer able to
access the documents on the private or public file shares. A Word document
is giving an error like:

   The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions:
        * check the file permissions for the document or drive
        * use the file open dialog box to locate the document

This is happening for all of the 30+ users

In Explorer the folders are all visible. And the files in the folders are
all visible. But when trying to click on one to open it, the above error
is given.

WordPerfect docs give an error too. Though different wording, its
effectively the same, "file cannot be found".

OpenOffice also gives an error. It says "The operation on
\\aslan\...directory...name of file
was started with an invalid parameter.

Just to see if there was any corruption in the files, we've copied one
word document using ssh from the samba server to the desktop of a PC and
it opens fine in Word, so its not that the disk and/or files are
corrupted....I think...

I'm running Samba 3.0.24-11 on FedoraCore 6.

I've run yum and it says there are no new updates available. (I think I'd
run it fairly recently so I'm not surprised there were no new updates.)

How do I go about trouble shooting this problem? thanks -- Dean