[Samba] net file close

Fuka, Daniel daniel.fuka at weatherinsight.com
Tue Mar 11 00:39:15 GMT 2008

Howdy,

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question, but I have searched the lists and can not find an answer for something that should be pretty simple.

I am loooking to perform a net file close on a samba shared file that is open from a windows machine. I can not get it to work in on my mac, or from a bsd based clustered file system. The closest I can get to it is performing an smbstatus to find the process id, and kill -15 {pid} to release the file..... which works fine but.... if a user has several files open, the kill -15 {pid} closes the connection (or releases the locks) for all of the users files it appears.

What is interesting is say:
user1 leaves open file1.xls and file2.doc
user2 needs file1.xls but _NOT_ file2.doc
kill -15 {user1pid}
user2 takes control of file1.xls and saves it. User1 is then given a chance to overwrite user2's changes to file1.xls, or rename. But user1's control and ability to save file2.doc has been lost with the kill -15 {user1pid}.

In windows, you just go and release the file from the little gui mouse thinger for windows shares (I get confused when I have to use a mouse and gui thinger.) Is there a gui mouse thinger (or command) to only release a file instead of an entire user for a samba shared file?

Thanks for your help!
Dan