[Samba] Vista, 35 second login delay, domain only.

Jean-Jacques Moulis jj at isy.liu.se
Mon Mar 10 07:36:07 GMT 2008

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 20:10:43 +0100 odi <odix at odiisi.net> wrote:

o> Hello,
o> maybe you are not alone with that behaviour, seems to be same with
o> Solaris10/Samba3.0.25c and Vista domain client. Currently I've no solution
o> for this problem,

o> regards

o> Am Donnerstag, 6. März 2008 17:05:07 schrieb michael at estone.ca:
o> > Hello,
o> >
o> > I've spent time trying to find an answer to this one, but no luck.
o> > The main problem is that when any user logs into Vista with a domain
o> > account, there will be ~35 second delay where the system just sits at
o> > the welcome screen with the spinning circle. (after typing their
o> > password)
o> >
o> > This happens on Vista sp1, and earlier. Also on Samba 3.0.24, 3.0.28 and
o> > 3.2. I'm pretty sure the DNS is okay, as everything else seems fine. Even
o> > XP machines login normally.
o> > Regardless of profiles being roaming or local, the delay is still there.
o> > tcpdump shows no activity during this delay.
o> > I've tried removing all traces of ipv6, from both the server and the
o> > client. All firewalls are off on both server and client.
o> > I'm pretty sure its Vista thats doing something, but just have no clue
o> > where to look.
o> > Local accounts login within a few seconds, and the domain logins are
o> > almost bareable at about 35 seconds, but really quite annoying. :(
o> >
o> > I'm curious to know if anyone else experiences this or not?
o> >
o> > Thanks!
o> > Mike

We experience the same problem with Vista clients and samba 3.0.28 on Solaris 10
I havn't looked into it as I concentrate on Vista packages installation for
the time being but yes it's irritating.
Logout with roaming profile is also slower than for XP.
NTconfig.pol isn't used.

--
Jean-Jacques   Moulis                              Tel:  (013) 281684
ISY                                                Fax:  (013) 139282
Linköping University                            E-mail: jj at isy.liu.se
581 83 Linköping