[Samba] Re: Importing Accounts from Windows?

Jamrock news_jamrock at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 8 10:33:57 GMT 2008

"Kyle Schmitt" <kyleaschmitt at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:2b548b8b0803070638v5937cc9ofd36b59760f8387f at mail.gmail.com...
> Is there some automated system to import windows accounts into a samba
> or a samba ldap situation?
>
> I've got a few hundred users on an NT domain, and I'd like to migrate
> them sometime before the last piece of hardware supported by NT4
> rusts.
> Right now several linux based samba servers are doing all of the heavy
> lifting (shared files printers etc), but they are all looking at the
> domain controller for authentication.
>
> Considering the multiple vulns for NT, I know I could just run a
> password cracker against it, then create new accounts for everyone
> with their old passwords, but I'm reluctant to do that.
>
> Is there a way to transfer the account info from the PDC to samba then
> just shut the old thing off?
>
> Thanks,
>         Kyle
> --

Samba 3.x comes with a  migration tool designed to pull user and machine
information from NT 4.0.  I have used it before with Samba and OpenLDAP.  It
works well.

We set up the Samba machine as a domain controller.  We migrated the user
and machine information. We shut down the NT machine and we were good to go.

Have a look at Chapter 9 of Samba by Example.  It is available at
www.samba.org.

Be sure to set up a test environment before trying to migrate your
production data.