[Samba] Samba to Kerberos via OpenLDAP

Wes Modes wmodes at ucsc.edu
Fri Mar 7 23:26:14 GMT 2008

First, I'll just say this is a question principally about the arcane
mysteries of Samba to OpenLDAP authentication.

I've had Samba to OpenLDAP authentication running for a while now using
the samba.schema and the ldapsam module.  Now I'd like to understand a
bit more about how that works in order to take it a step further and get
openLDAP to bind against a Kerberos database via SASL.

An aside;  Yes, I'd heard that Samba can be configured to authenticate
against Kerberos directly, but for my own reasons, I'd prefer that Samba
talk only to OpenLDAP, and OpenLDAP can do the authentication.  I'll
fall back on the Samba to Kerberos direct route if I can't find a way to
do what I want.

I've noted that the Samba schema and smbldap-tools add to the user
record two Samba specific password fields,  sambaNTPassword and
sambaLMPassword.

If I have the ldapsam module specified as the passdb backend in
smb.conf, is OpenLDAP merely storing the samba passwords while Samba
does the password comparisons?  Or does OpenLDAP do the authentication
and return a yes or no?

Is it possible to have Samba defer authentication to OpenLDAP?  If so, I
can have OpenLDAP use the {SASL} method to do authentication via kerberos.

Wes

--

Wes Modes
Server Administrator & Programmer Analyst